Friday, May 2, 2014

Sometimes it Rains

                Sometimes it rains. Sometimes it is so dry that our mouths are parched and dry. Even though there may be water all around us, there may times of drought in our hearts and our soul. It could be that you have felt like that a time or two. I know that it happens to all of us. We may see the goodness of God in others lives, but long for Him to speak a direct word to us.
                Last week I had the pleasure of attending a men’s conference with a few Christian brothers. To be honest at first I was a bit apprehensive. After all, it was going to take up my whole Saturday. Did I really want to give that up? But I went anyway, probably because my friend asked me to go. I could not say no to him. So on a Saturday, I gave up my opportunity to sleep in and went to the conference.
                We were there early at the church. Way too early! It was so early that the coffee was not even made yet. However, one of the men that rode with us was going to be a presenter in one of the sessions so it was good for him at least. I continued in my apprehension, wanting to go hide in a corner. Little did I know that God had brought me there for a specific reason, and soon I was to find out why.
                For the last two months I have been in the place just like described in Psalm 63 where my soul has been crying out in a dry and weary land where there is no water. That however has been changed and the once parched heart has been renewed with fresh living water. There has been no change in personal circumstance, just a lifting of the drought. After a wonderful time and worship and a message we were asked to gather and pray for our brothers. A dear man, who I had not known before, lays hands on me, prays for me and my family’s situation, and finally let the rain soak in.
                We must know that we have not been deserted, even if it feels as such. We must remember the promises of God and know that God’s provision continues to provide in desperation and in abundance. We can give thanks like the Psalmist did; 9 Rain in abundance, O God, you shed abroad; you restored your inheritance as it languished; 10 your flock found a dwelling in it; in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy. Psalm 68:9-10 (ESV)”

                Praise God that sometimes it rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment