Friday, March 21, 2014

A Year Ago Today

                 Today I decided that I am going to celebrate. It was not an easy decision to make. It is an event that not many people would associate with celebration. However, I am going to change that. You see, last March 21st was the day that a great man passed away from this earth into eternity.
                All of it is so vivid in my mind. We all we gathered around my father; my Sister, her husband, my mother, my wife, and myself were all there. Earlier in the day there had been calls from my other two sisters, and a visit from my brother. But it was during the cold peaceful night that we were stoking the fire of the stove that we waited. Stoking the fire and watching the breaths become shallower and slower was all that was left to do. The memories still flash. The mourning, the ghastly anticipation all molded together with a feeling of helplessness grasped my heart. And yet, there was still peace, the kind of peace that passes all understanding. It was a heavenly peace that comes from God alone, followed by an un-climatic climax when my father took his last breath.
                For some of you there is no reason to celebrate. You did not know my father. You did not know the man. That is ok. But someday you may be in my position to make the same decision. I choose to celebrate because God blessed us to be family, to be father and son. I celebrate because of the memories of love and selflessness that he gave. I am thankful for the earthly time, but my hope truly is in eternity. Know today that you have a Heavenly Father that loves you and wants you to be with Him today. This may have happened a year ago today, but it is today that I live for and celebrate.


Be a blessing and be blessed!

1 comment: