Monday, March 17, 2014

Chasing Rainbows and Leprechauns

                As I am writing this I am surrounded in the fact that it St. Patrick’s Day. The TV news has mentioned it, the radio has mentioned it, and even the popular search engine has a wonderful green header. The greatest part of the legend of St Patrick it that he had chased all of the snakes out of Ireland. From my understanding there had never been snakes in Ireland which makes it a more intriguing story. More important however is that he had brought Christianity to Ireland. The other picture we often associate with St. Patrick's day is that of the leprechaun and his infamous pot o' gold. How many of us as children have tried to find the end of the rainbow to get that gold?
                As I contemplate on this, I could not help but think of all the time I have wasted chasing snakes or pots of gold that were not there. How much time has been wasted by worrying, and seeking solutions to spiritual warfare that were solidly in God’s hands? Jesus was so clear that in our lives giving our time to the worry of the material desires of the gentiles or even to religiosity of the religious leaders was a waste. His words speak to us today. ”33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33 (ESV)
                I wanted to share with you as well the popular prayer attributed to St. Patrick.

St. Patrick's Breastplate
I arise today through
God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me, 
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to see before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me, 
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to secure me-
against snares of devils,
against temptation and vices,
against inclinations of nature,
against everyone who shall wish me ill, afar and near, alone and in a crowd...
Christ be with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit, Christ where I arise, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.
Salvation is of the Lord
Salvation is of the Lord
Salvation is of the Christ.
May your salvation O Lord be ever with us.         

                Seek Christ first and don’t get too distracted chasing rainbows or leprechauns. Happy St. Patrick's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment