Monday, March 17, 2014

Eating the Church du Jour!

......I wrote this a while back but found it still very true.


            Not long ago, I opened up the latest copy of a popular pastor’s magazine. I used to enjoy reading about the latest books and some of the latest trends. However, something hit me really hard as I caroused through the pages. Where do these guys come up with this stuff? There is the post-modern church, the emerging church, the emergent church, the satellite church, and so many others I am not able to keep up with all. Are these things really for me? Just because they worked for one guy how am I to know that they will work for me. Why even should I try them? They tell me why… “because it will change and improve Your ministry.” WOW! That is quite the claim. Why should I even waste my time reading these same words that have been written over and over again. I am not a mega church wanna be. I am not a mega church pastor. I do not desire to build a mega church. I just want to love my Jesus and serve the Lord. Yes, I do have a desire to preach the gospel. Yes, I want to reach out and share Christ. Yes, I want to make disciples and help grow the church. But, does it have to be broadcast to a satellite church? Do I have to use Power Point just to communicate? Do I have to entertain the people and appease their senses? Help us please Jesus! What have we come to?
            Truly I am tired of the Church du Jour philosophy. I am starting to wonder about it’s validity and even it’s long term viability. There is so much hype but very little in terms of outcome. There is little in terms of content. The Church du Jour, catering to the tickling ear only leads to an empty heart. I agree that there are many who are seeking. There are many who are looking for Christian community. Yet there seems to be something lost in what is gained.
            Along with the Church du Jour is the latest and interesting fact that for every single success in ministry that person as well has to write a brag book outlining their achievements and giving advice on how the rest of us jokers can do the same. Little does any of them tell us is that out of every success there are hundreds and possibly thousands of failures. Not that any attempt in ministry is a failure but rather that not all will be blessed in the same way. Every ministry leader and pastor is unique and thus every ministry and church will be unique. As well there are certain geographic and sociological differences in every church community. There is not one possible way that a church in an urban big city will have the same flavor as a church in rural middle America. Why is it then we think there is a “fix all” for the church.

            Often I wonder if there is more than survival in ministry? I realize that all we can do is to do our best and let God do the rest. The Church du Jour model is not the answer for the Kingdom of God. What is the answer then? I think that we are pulling the blankets over our heads while the real ministry still needs to be done. Possibly we would be better using our time in prayer, Bible study and worship than on the latest books, magazines and info from the Church du Jour.

No comments:

Post a Comment