Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Anticipating May Flowers

Out back, behind the house on what used to be my parents property there was a special little spot. It was a small patch that I would venture to at least once a week during the end of March and well into April. The reason that I would go there was for one reason. That reason was to pick May flowers. It was the only place on the property that I knew with certainty that they grew year after year. The flowers were small with petal of purple and sometimes white. They looked like a small violet only I have never found out exactly what they were.
                There was always anticipation from the time the snow started to melt and the time when the little flowers came into bloom. Because when they did bloom it was sure that spring was upon us and that meant warmer weather. When I finally found them I would gather up a small bouquet to bring in to my mother. She was always glad to get them, so it felt good for me to share them with her.
                Today I am reminded as I look out my window of what it takes to have spring flowers. The day is cold, wet and dark, unlike the warm sunny days that a wonderful little flower needs to come forth from the earth. As well, I am reminded that not long ago, there was snow on the ground with freezing temperatures. How amazing it is that we need to go through winters to enjoy the little things that come after.
                As I am currently between ministry assignments, it somewhat feels like a long “winter.” I eagerly await for a glimpse of spring. I long to take my walk and see the May flowers. For where there are the signs of spring, there is certainly more hope to come. Maybe you have been there before as well. Even in the midst of your circumstance, you are not alone and there is hope to come. In the greatest love story ever, the writer of the Song of Solomon reminds us 11 for behold, the winter is past; the rain is over and gone. 12 The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. Song of Songs 2:11-12 (ESV) Everything has its season, even in the darkness of winter and the rains of spring we can know that there are bright and precious things to come.
                God does not leave us is the same season all the time. We can anticipate that God has a purpose and a place for us. We may have to endure winter for a season, but God is still with us. Jesus reminded his disciples, 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Luke 12:27 (ESV) Let’s continue to anticipate the May flowers together and know that God continues to help us through. If God takes care of the flowers of the field, how much more He will take care of those who he calls His own.

No comments:

Post a Comment